In The News
The Mother's Day Race for the Cure Was a Sunny Success!
Thanks to everyone who came out to the Mother's Day Race for the Cure on Sunday, May 8th! Over 8,000 runners, walkers, volunteers and sponsors were on hand to enjoy a beautiful morning in Grant Park!
The books are still open until June 30th, so please submit your donations today! 75% of all net proceeds go to fund breast health and breast cancer care, treatment and support for those in need right here in the Chicagoland Area; the remaining 25% funds global research to find the cures.
(Don't forget! If you raise $250 or more for the Mother's Day Race for the Cure, you will be able to select your own prize from our Fundraising Rewards program.)
Komen Chicago Travels to Springfield for Advocacy Day
On May 19th, Komen Chicago staff members and volunteers visited Springfield, Illinois as part of Annual Advocacy Day. The group met with State Senator Julie Morrison to discuss:
To learn more and get involved in advocacy work on behalf of Komen Chicago, please visit our website.
- Adequate funding for the Illinois Breast and Cervical Cancer Program (IBCCP);
- Implementation of the Breast Cancer Excellence in Survival and Treatment (BEST) Act by the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services; and
- Increasing the minimum buying age for tobacco in Illinois to age 21.
The 2016 Lombard Race for the Cure is Just Around the Corner!
SAVE THE DATE! The Lombard Race for the Cure will be held on Sunday, September 18th at Yorktown Center in Lombard, Illinois.
In addition to fun and festivities, you will be able to register for the 5K Run, 5K Walk or 1 Mile Fun Walk.
Watch for more details, coming soon!
There's Still Room to Join Team Komen -- Register by May 25th!
You can still secure a post-lottery entry for the 2016 Bank of America Chicago Marathon by signing up to be a member of Team Komen! You must register before May 25th and commit to the post-lottery fundraising minimum of $1,500 (the lowest charity program fundraising minimum!). Register here.
ALREADY HAVE A LOTTERY ENTRY AND WANT TO RUN FOR CHARITY? You can still join Team by signing up here and clicking on “Runner Have Entry.” By committing to raising a minimum of $500 you will receive all of our team benefits! After signing up for Team Komen, log into your Chicago Marathon Athlete Center: register.chicagomarathon.com/athlete and switch to our team by searching for “Susan G. Komen – Chicago." Click view, sign-up and select okay!
Thank You to the Mother's Day Race for the Cure Sponsors
Many thanks to this year's Mother's Day Race for the Cure sponsors! Without their incredible support and partnership, we could not put on the Race for the Cure each and every year.
Promise Sponsor: Walgreens
Hope Sponsor: Yorktown Center
Courage Sponsors: Cancer Treatment Centers of America, Splash and WSHE
Platinum Sponsors: FT Cares Foundation, NBC5/Telemundo, Pepsico
Gold Sponsors: Context Media, Corner Bakery Cafe, Charizma, Gentle Giant, Fleet Feet Sports, Illinois Ford Dealerships and Sparkling Ice
Silver Sponsors: Medieval Times Dinner & Tournament and Platinum Flash Photo Booth
Even Fido Can Fight Breast Cancer With the Help of PetSmart!
We are excited to partner with PetSmart and have our canine friends supporting the fight against breast cancer!
Now through September 30, 2016, PetSmart will donate $1 to Susan G. Komen for each Pink Ribbon Stenciling Service sold, and $2 for each Komen Pink Package sold (includes a pink ribbon stencil and another pink salon item), with a guaranteed minimum donation of $25,000. Learn more»
Key to Life Program Offers Education, Hands-On Workshop -- Register Your Group Today!
The Key to Life Program, sponsored by Cancer Treatment Centers of America, is an engaging, volunteer project that is perfect for businesses, social clubs and groups. Groups composed of 20-40 adults will:
- Learn about breast health through an educational presentation; and
- Participate in a hands-on workshop to create keychains, which will be used to educate health fair attendees across the Chicagoland Area on the importance of early detection.
Programs can be tailored to meet your group's needs! To set up a Key to Life Program for your company, organization, or community group, contact: Taylor Becker, Education and Outreach Coordinator
Did You Know?
The warning signs of breast cancer are not the same for all women? Know what is normal for you and report any change from normal to a doctor.